FILLING & DE-FILLING THE OXYGEN BOMB VESSEL
The following method applies to the following oxygen bomb calorimeter systems :CAL3K-S, CAL3K-A, and CAL3K-F. The CAL3K-AP uses internal automatic oxygen filling, which does not require the manual oxygen filling station. Please refer to the automatic oxygen filling article on our online help files for more information.
For this exercise you will need :
METHOD TO FILL THE BOMB VESSEL WITH OXYGEN
- To start, make sure the filling station is connected to an oxygen supply and inspect that everything is working correctly. The sample should already be weighed, prepared and inserted into the bomb vessel with the firing cotton, electrodes, firing wire and crucible.
- To fill the vessel, place the prepared bomb vessel onto the filling station base.
- Pull down the lever/handle so it locks onto the bomb vessel nozzle.
- Wait for the vessel to fill to 30 bar with oxygen.
- The needle on the gauge will move to indicate the vessel is filling.
- When filling to 30 bar, lift the lever to remove the vessel from the filling station.
- The vessel is now filled with oxygen and ready for firing in the oxygen bomb calorimeter.
TO DE-FILL THE BOMB VESSEL AFTER A DETERMINATION
- To de-fill the oxygen vessel, place the de-filler cap onto the vessel nozzle and press down with the palm of your hand to release the oxygen.
- The oxygen is now being released from the bomb vessel. Continue until all the oxygen is released from the vessel.
- Remove the de-filler cap from the bomb vessel when complete.
- The bomb vessel lid can now be removed and inspected.